Ivan Lopez

Default Class D full range/Class T w/Tripath

Facts primarily but also opinions welcomed on the above subject. I've read
up a little about these designs. I see that Xtant has a Class D full range.
It looks like Visonik and MA Audio have variations on the Class T Tripath
full range design. Also the PG Tantrum 1200.1 uses Class T Tripath but it
is not a full range amp.

Has anyone used or seen any of these in action? Or more to the point any
Class D/T fullrange amps?

I recently hooked up a Class D sub amp and was quite impressed with its
power output vs. system drain. With the Class A/B amp I had running the
subs before, you could tell it was sucking some serious power at higher
output (dimming of the dome light at idle). The greater power output of the
Class D and I only experience a slight flicker at idle with even higher
output and more pronounced bass ouput (attributed to the additional power
output not the given design). Plus the amp doesn't even get warm, while the
A/B amp used to get quite warm.

They are claiming these fullrange Class D and Class T amps can give the same
performance if not greater than an equivalent Class A/B design. Any
thoughs? I like the fact of the lesser strain on a vehicles electrical
system and was venturing to look into one of these.

This is not meant to start a flame session, just some constructive
discussion.

Thanks,
Ivan

---