Garthrr

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

In article , "Arny Krueger"
writes:

24 bits also adds resolution in any region between -144 dB and full scale.

For me, with my limited understanding (or misunderstanding perhaps) of digital
theory, the above sentence cuts to the heart of the matter. If I understand
what Scott Dorsey and others have said then the change from 16 to 24 bits only
adds downward dynamic range and does not increase resolution of signals in the
relatively high ranges close to full scale. Maybe I misunderstand but thats
what they seem to be saying. On an intuitive level that seems wrong to me and
it seems as though resolution even at -10dB should increase (due to less
quantization error??) . I infer that thats what Arny is saying in the quote
above. Do I have that right? If so, is this, then, the crux of the discussion?
I hope you all will bear with my lack of math skills and technical knowledge
but I would like to understand as much about this as I can on an intuitive
level.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney