Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

Paul Dorman wrote:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...d-part-2-gsps6

The mylar is put into the tensioning ring, and tensioned by the
technician by hand. He doesn't measure the tension with any device!

Also, the technician securing the diaphragm to the backing plate,
does NOT appear to use a torque-wrench!

I'm not claiming the technicians don't need skill to do this work,
but it's clear there aren't any secrets in capsule building.

This is the trampoline method I described. There are a couple steps left
out of that video but it's basically all that goes on.

Modern manufacturers do not use this method any longer, but it is possible
to get consistent capsules made this way if you have enough skill.