Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Default Dual Voice Coil Question

....Hmmm.

All good points (from the other posters).

However, my first question would be: What are the subs rated at?

I'll be the first to admit that I've never tried it, but if they're
rated to handle 1000W RMS @ 2-ohms each, then you might as well wire
it up the way you're suggesting based on the fact that your amp
wouldn't power them all the way anyhow.

I dunno - seems to me like you've got yourself an excuse to help out
our down economy by going out and getting a 1-ohm stable Class D
Amplifier...

}:-)
~Mister.Lull

On Feb 1, 8:12*pm, "MOSFET" wrote:
I will start by saying the obvious answer to my question is to "just try
it". *But in the interest of educating myself, I would appreciate some
information.

I recently bought 2 15" subs, each has dual 4 ohm voice coils. *They are
both being driven by an Alpine Class D 850 watt amp (MRV-850, I think).
This mono amp is 2 ohm stable, yet there is no way to configure the four
voice coils to reach a 2 ohm load (I could connect all four in parellel but
that would be a 1 ohm load and I KNOW from experience I could damage the
amp). *They are connected now so that my amp sees a 4 ohm load (through a
combination of parellel and series wiring).

The question I have is regarding the possibility of connecting just one
voice coil from each sub and wiring that to my amp, giving me a 2 ohm load
and more power from my amp.

HOWEVER, undoutedly there is a cost to doing this, like my subs become
capable of handling 1/2 the power they used to. *As I recall from posts in
the past, the coils overlap each other on the former so I was thinking that
by doing this I wouldn't lose excursion. *Or would I?

Basically, my question boils down to this; does the increased power produced
by a 2 ohm load exceed the benefits of having both coils connected.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

MOSFET