Mark D. Zacharias

Default Audio CD Ripping Question

Either or both PC drives could have sufficient cleaning / maintenance issues
to account for this, particularly the older 750 mHz model, if the drive is
also older.

You could try Exact Audio Copy and see if it can recover the tracks you
need.

Mark Z.

"Maxwell Smart" wrote in message
.93...
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question, so please let
me know if there's another group I should be posting to.

I'm having trouble trying to 'rip' audio CDs that are 70 - 80 minutes in
length. I've tried on two different PCs, and the results are generally

the
same. The first PC is an AMD K7 750MHz with 256MB RAM and a TDK
16x/10x/40x CD-RW running TDK Digital MixMaster software under Win98SE.
The second is a 2.53 GHz P4 with 512MB RAM and a 48x/24x/48x CD-RW running
Musicmatch Plus under Win XP Home. I've also tried Real Player and

Windows
Media Player, but the results are the same.

I can rip the tracks without any problems up to about 70 minutes, but

after
that point both PCs seem like they can't read the tracks successfully.
These are all retail audio CDs that play fine in any audio CD player (e.g.
Tommy by The Who), but it seems like the CD-RW drives in the two computers
can't successfully read the audio tracks on the outer edge of the CDs.
They try to read the tracks, but the read speed slows down to the minimum
and then the software eventually gives up. Needless to say, this is
impeding my effort to convert my CD collection to MP3. Most CDs record
without problems, but I'm unable to record all of the long ones and end up
missing tracks.

I would appreciate any suggestions for resolving this problem, or pointers
to other sources of help. Thanks.

Dan