Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/30/2013 4:34 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
This Zoom H6 caught my eye because of its extended capabilities that
may permit me to be even more portable and flexible in both my jobs
(video) and my learning curve with music recording. The "our needs"
part referred to multiple channels XLR inputs that are powered and
individually adjustable and all of the other features that I was
wishing for.

Technically and functionally, the H6 will meet your needs. Based on
having one in my hands (though not actually recording with it),
ergonomically it doesn't make very much sense. You're going to have
cables sticking out all over the place - three or more mic cables on
two or three planes, power supply (a good idea if you need phantom
power), headphones, and maybe the remote control cable. I found the
controls for the mixer to be pretty clumsy, and one of the things
you'll need to do is set up a reasonable mix of your mics when you're
recording so you'll have some idea of whether you have them placed
correctly. Sure, you can do it, but it's not very quick or accurate.

Like I said, spend some time on it, and if you find it as difficult to
operate quickly as I did, take it back and consider another approach.
It doesn't take too much of a computer to record four tracks (or six
if you can afford that many mics). A USB interface from Focusrite (for
example), a $150 used laptop computer (that really won't be so old),
and a copy of Reaper will give you a fine setup for that kind of
recording. You can make a rough mix quickly for the purpose of
setting your mics, and you'll have all the files on the computer so
you can do a better mix when you have a better monitoring situation.

You've got one? Well, I will too in a couple of days. Two points: It has the
XLR power supplies built in, and I wonder if anyone makes some flatter, like
right angle XLR connectors. I noticed the positioning of the XLR jacks as
well, but I need to see if that could be a problem. What I do is mount the
mikes on the stand, attach and dress the cables, hoist the mikes as high as
they will go, and then set the recorder at the base of the stand with
headphones attached so that I can monitor it periodically.

The only other way to do it would be to mount it on the same mike bracket,
start it recording with the built in mikes as a backup and some very short
XLR cables attached to the mike inputs, and let it run for each half of the
concert. That would require a lot of faith on my part, but would keep it off
the stage and out of view.

Gary