Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

Frank Stearns wrote:
(hank alrich) writes:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

These mike graphs look terrific! Especially at the bass end!
Look almost as good as my Audio Technicas!

Oh, yes, it's all about the way sound looks.

Jesus deliver us.

Indeed! (See my other post about how human vision can screw up human
sound perception. And here Hank has pointed out another way --
"seeing" a graph and having that visual memory influence what you
ultimately think you hear.)

And the following fact has been missing from these threads on how to
record an ensemble: nearly all cardioide microphones suffer LF
roll-off, some quite profound. Some figure-8s have the same issue.
Nature of the beast(s). This is useful in many situations, but
certainly not all.

IIRC, Schoeps suggested adding an omni to their M-S or ORTF rigs to
improve LF response. You low-passed this added omni so as to not
screw up your basic stereo field.

Some M-S rigs use an "omni" for the M mic, though that omni might be
more directional in the high end. Mind you, a cardioide Schoeps is
going to be light years ahead of a cardioide AT, yet for serious work
Schoeps still suggested incorporating an omni.

This is one of the benefits of using a stereo mic scheme that employs
omnis from the get-go -- LF response. And it's more than just tilting
up the LF with EQ in post. There seem to be phase and "air movement"
issues as well (and perhaps other things) that an EQ boost simply
cannot correct.

Frank
Mobile Audio

In my limited experience of late with spaced omni vs my new closer together
cardioids idea, the bass response improved dramatically (with the cardioids)
because it was more solidly placed and did not have multiple arrivals, as
Scott has mentioned.

Using an omni as the Mid in an MS technique has resultant pattern
consequences as well. If your Mid is omni, you end up with a pattern
equivalent to two cardioids at 180° angle. If it is a cardioid, you end up
with an XY pattern. If it is another Figure 8 mike, you get a classic
Blumlein pair crossed at 90°.

I don't understand the lack of interest in the freq response graphs. This
does not negate listening to the sound of the mikes, if that is what "Jesus
deliver us" thinks. I think we need to have a certain level of respect for
the intelligence of the correspondents here so that we don't assume the
lower level of intent when reading each other. That one was extreme
disrespect.

Gary Eickmeier