Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Next?.

Next, the H6.

Ah yes, a completely new design with new preamps and new AD setup, NOT! - it
is has its context, but serious recording isn't one of them.

If you want a budget contraption to record with, then get a MR8HD, remember
to fix its polarity error in post, and an external preamp or two - and 4
good microphones, four of a kind is good if you get them right, two pairs
can offer you a wider range of properties.

The MR8HD sounds like plastic with low input levels, but gets cleaner with
the gain turned down below about "4". Two passable candidates that have
gotten nice mentionings by othes in the past are probably Symetrix 302 or
RNP. Or a Mackie 1202, its preamps are in fact OK, I made one of my very
best recordings using a 1202's preamps and a MR8HD and 4 well chosen
identical microphones, sonic properties came together in a good way, so it
was a very good setup.

Note: I only used the preamps, this does not constitute A comment of any
kind on the 1202's general properties.

Again: An Oade modified R44 is a good choice for a stand alone recording
implement for those that do not care to drag external preamps along, the one
I know of (not mine) is impressively well aounding and very clean.

Gary

Kind regards

Peter Larsen