Arny Krueger

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in
message

And there's more, like the observations that one
particle can somehow affect
the behaviour of another a large distance away. So
perhaps it is not beyond
the realms of fantasy that a particle in the brain can
affect a particle in
a CD player. Who knows, we certainly don't.

Actually, it's firmly in the realm of fantasy.

This attitude illustrates perfectly the difference
between the Scientist mindset and the more open minded
one. The Scientist mindset refuses to believe that
things we do not yet understand may be possible.

Wrong. Gareth, you seem to think that particle physics is
full of unknowns and speculation, and that there have been
no real-world experiments at all.

Read again the above paragraph. You are calling
unquestionable logic fantasy.

Gareth your idea of "unquestionable logic" makes religious
belief look like factual certainty.

For God's sake Mr Sullivan, if you had a conversation
with Christopher Columbus and tried to explain to him how
you talked to someone on the other side of the world on
your mobile phone yesterday, he would probably laugh in
your face.

You really just don't know about that, do you Gareth? I
suspect that with a proper foundation of experiences,
Columbus would accept the facts and get on with his life. He
seems to have been a fairly flexible fellow.

To get him to understand you would have to
start with explaining electricity and then radio.

Not at all. A few simple demos would suffice. Maybe we'd
start out with making a cellphone call while we were
face-to-face and just have the demonstrators walk further
and further apart. At some point it wouldn't be a leap of
faith for Columbus to believe that it was now easy to speak
over long distances.

Chances are the only way he could visualise these sorts
of technology would be to think of them as some kind of
"magic" or "spiritual" or "fantasy" and may well have the
same attitude as yourself. Try and think just a little
outside the box, please.

I think you ought to take your own advice, Gareth. Your idea
of Science seems to be trapped in a tiny little box.