Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:25:52 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:34:33 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Ever hear of a phantom switch experience?

I'm sure that you've heard about the one that Nousaine
orchestrated at a SMWTMS meeting.

In it, the listener is led to believe there are two
devices
or settings, A and B. He describes sonic difference
between them.
But in fact, A and B are the very same device or setting.

Nousaine contrived to get the host's I think it was
Krell-based system replaced with a small Pioneer receiver.

You would claim that no, really, they *were* different,
because
the listener *heard* them as different.

The proudly host showed-off his *Krell* system.

It's this very same "effect" that makes me recommend that someone do
the same thing to YOU guys. I have little doubt that those of you who
claim the inferiority of SETs and tube amps in general would be
similarly fooled.

So, you're saying that SETs are *not* sonically distinguishable from
cheap SS amps when used below clipping? If so, then what's the point
of them?