Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Convert mono LP to digital

Randy Yates wrote:

But there's no reason not to digitize it at 24 bits in the first
place, with storage so cheap now.

No argument there. I'm just saying that if you did, that shouldn't cause
a problem for deemphasis software. I mean, I would hope the (plugin?)
implementer(s) would know the dynamic range requirements of the
algorithm and resample/requantize if necessary.

I was suggesting that there may be benefit to digitizing at 24 bits when
in fact you have far more noise than signal going into the converter. Do
a sharp FIR high-pass at 18 Hz and you still have plenty of bits of signal
left if you are lucky.

Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com