Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Convert mono LP to digital

On 6/10/2015 1:03 PM, PStamler wrote:
On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 8:20:00 PM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 6/10/2015 5:29 AM, PStamler wrote:
Record in 24 bits (or 32 bits floating); after you've done
everything you want to do to the signal, convert to 16 bits for
burning a CD.

Had to smile that you think you will need more than 96dB DNR to
record old vinyl :-) (Most DAWS work internally at 32bit floating,
or better now anyway) Still, won't hurt at least.

That's a long and complicated discussion, which I don't have time for
while the rice is on the stove. Suffice it to say that every
declicking algorithm I've ever used works more effectively, with
fewer artifacts, on 24-bit files (or the 32-bit version of them) than
on 16. Worth using just on that basis.

OK, I'll take your word for that, but would only be because the
declicking algorithm is badly written. As I said, most DAW's and plug
ins work in 32 bit float or better now. Just because the original file
starts out with 12 bits of extra noise instead of 4 shouldn't make any
difference.

Trevor.