Posted to rec.audio.pro
Edi Zubovic Edi Zubovic is offline

Default Convert mono LP to digital

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 22:03:17 -0400, Nil
wrote:

This was discussed here some time ago, I believe, and I thought I saved
the instructions, but I can't find them, so I hope for some advice...

I want to digitalize a mono LP. I record it to the computer as a stereo
WAV file. What's the best way to make it a mono WAV file? My usual
practice has been to pick the best-sounding/least-noisy channel and
eliminate the other. But I recall someone here recommending doing
something like inverting one channel and then summing them in order to
cancel out more noise. That's not it, but something like that.

Can someone please steer me in a good direction?

-- I'm doing it in two ways: either record in the mono LP with a
stereo cartridge or use mono cartridge (internally wired but with
maintained vertical compliance). The third way would be using a
dedicated mono cartridge like old EMT (ie. Ortofon) OFS(aphire) or
OFD(iamond) cartridges. Today, Ortofon SPU fall in this category, I
think.

The last ones are dangerous to all stereo records as they have no
vertical impedance and usually require a hefty tracking force, so they
might damage a stereo record . With mono records, a greater tracking
force is no bad thing at all, though.

The EMT and Ortofons have a L-shaped cantilever, the foot holds the
stylus, vertical part holds a single coil and ends up in a kind of
partially elastic bearing which is held by a strip of Tesa cellophane
band.

In all cases, I'm using a dynamic - moving coil - cartridge. Older
LPs play well with a 1 mil stylus or somewhat less.

More recent microgroove records, say mid-60s onwards, would require
that less-than-one-mil styli.

A simple setup is the cartridge output into step-up transformers and
then directly to the sound card inputs, recording istr best made with
a dedicatred program such as Diamond Cut, which has already many
equalization curves etc. suitable for many records.

I am using stereo information to do a total cancelling out and I never
do it other ways. All music is horizontal here, get out all vertical.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia