Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Gorging on Sound

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Try Diskwelder Bronze, which should allow you to create a DVD-A with
linear
PCM surround tracks. Not much money either.

They also sell some AC3 encoding software, but it's a lot more money,
and
why
encode if you don't have to?

But I DO have to - how else will I get discrete surround on a disc?

By using the DVD-A format which permits linear PCM surround. Or by using
the SACD format.

Not all DVD players support DVD-A... the format was stuck in a whole lot
of
wrangling and fighting and the standards committee didn't actually come
out
with anything until DVD was already an established format. But eventually
they did, and these days a lot of players support it, and it's the easiest
way to get clean, uncompressed audio at high sampling rates and with
multiple
channels distributed to the end listener.

There's an enormous amount of throughput available, why compress when you
don't have to?

Because I don't have DVD-A? And neither does anyone else. I think I briefly
checked which players can play that stuff, and it wasn't that many. Anyway,
even if I had such a player, how would I produce the multichannel disc?
Currently using Audition 2.0.

Using the Diskwelder Bronze software which I referred to above as costing
"not much money."

Most of the newer players now can play DVD-A.... it is the miracle of
software that adding features like this becomes relatively inexpensive
and easy.