Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default When music mattered more

In article .com,
vlad wrote:

On Jul 6, 7:03 pm, Jenn wrote:
In article . com,

Well, to each his own. Do you think that La Scalla, et al are in the
habit of giving multi-year contracts to mediocre singers?

May be she was cheap to hire.

lol Incorrect.

You never know what the real reasons
were.

You are wrong on the salary. What other possible reasons could there
be? Houses like La Scalla live or die on the quality of their product,
period.

If you know something about this contract then, please, educate us -
simple peasants.

Such an ass. Why do you ascribe such an attitude to me? What possible
reason do you have? Why should we all have to deal with the results of
your inferiority complex?

Till then it can be anything and not only her voice/
acting.

Her autobiography, "Bubbles". She states that her La Scala contract was
the second highest for a female up to that point. Feel free to look it
up.

Like you, I trust my own ears more then to anything else. And for my
money she does not come close as a singer to likes of Callas,
Schwartskopf, Caballe, Kiri Te Kanawa or Fleming. As you say "to each
his own". We are on RAO, remember?

Exactly.

. . .

I have to agree with you. Fleming is a very
poor actress. I saw her in Met's "Don Giovanny"

lol Looks like a pizza joint.

and she did not even
try to act. That is the pity.

Is that the 2000 production with Bryn? I've seen the DVD, and I would
agree with you.

Yes, that's it.

I saw her in few other productions - she
does not act well, but her singing is pure heaven. And that's what we
are paying money for, is not it?

Mostly, but also the acting. Otherwise, you might as well have a
recital rather than an opera.

Tend to agree with you at this point. For example, the best
production of "Cosi fan tutti" in my view was Peter Sellars production
on DVD (I saw it before on Laser). Setting, decorations and acting
were superb. At the same time they were all pretty mediocre singers,
or worse.

Did you enjoy the unusual aspects of the production?