Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Usenet-News Usenet-News is offline

Default Need Amplifier Recommendation

The Audiosource one you suggest needs a pre-amp - the Zpre 2. Have a look
in Richer Sounds to see what they have - I'm betting they can help you for
not a lot of money. A quick look shows they have the Cambridge Azur 840A,
which would serve nicely.

The Azur is out of my price range, but it is a nice unit. They did have one
that looked like it would be perfect -- the Tangent Amp 100, but it looks
like it is UK only (and I'm in the US). The Cambridge Audio A5 looks good
too (although no headphone jack). But, again... seems to be UK only.
So I need to keep looking.

Don't be too hung up on the power level - even 50W is only 3dB down, and
that comes in the barely audible range over the several minutes it would
take you to swap amplifiers.

Thanks for the counsel--I would have never looked at the Tangent above,
otherwise.

What I actually have are four 4 ohm speakers, each pair hooked up in series
(for 8 ohm load). Each speaker is 50W, which is why I was figuring that my
minimum amp would be 100W per channel at 8 ohms.

Does that sound correct?

Dave