Scott Dorsey

Newsguy wrote:
Hi there. Here's a question for the "veterans" in this newgroup. I have an
old Shure 55s microphone (the Elvis type). This microphone uses an old
school version of a modern XLR connector known as an Amphenol MC3M. This is
a three pin arrangement (pin 1, pin 2, pin 3).

Now, I have a brand new old-stock Amphenol MC3M connector, a brand new
modern male XLR connector, and a length of mic cable. I want to put it all
together and make a functional mic cable. Do I simply go pin 1 XLR to pin 1
Amphenol, pin 2 to pin 2, and pin 3 to pin 3?

No. I forget the pinout offhand, but get an ohmmeter. You will find one
pin goes to the case. That one goes to pin 1 on the XLR. The other two
have no connection to the case but have fairly low resistance between them.
Those go to pins 2 and 3.

I have tried to locate this information through Google, but I cannot find
anything that shows a proper diagram. As a sidenote, this 55s mic has a
three way impedence switch (L-M-H), and I am not sure if that factors into
the way the cable would be soldered up.

Actually, if you go to the Shure web site, and look at the discontinued
products page, you will be able to download the original data sheet for
the mike, with the schematic and everything.