Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

On 20/12/2020 4:32 am, Ty Ford wrote:
Consoles never really worked their way into my work flow. I'd rather use
the space for something else.

That's all.

Les Cargill

I mostly agree with Mr. Cargill on this. I got into Pro Tools around 2000. Before that I used small mixers on small projects. I think Pro Tools promised 16 tracks (maybe 24) back then. That was more than enough for me.

Over time, Pro Tools brought hardware consoles back to market. My question was, "Why bother?" I'm very happy NOT to have a console. I get around on the screen just fine. OK for live sound maybe, but the Behringer XR 18 is a competent system and it's on screen. I mixed small house concerts on one for two years. I think if you're predisposed to knobs and faders, your inclination is to want a console. I spent a lot of time with hardware consoles. If I worked in high channel live sound where getting to a dedicated control was essential, I'd probably feel differently.

I have a Mackie Control which I could (and have) used in conjunction
with DAW software (Vegas Pro, Acid Pro, Reaper, etc), but nowadays find
that I more often just use envelopes and mouse on timelines to mix down.
Though the MCU can be used to generate those envelopes in real-time.

I wonder what is being used on consoles for analogue (or external
digital) mixdowns - EQ, Level, pan, preset or interactive. Or mainly
just level.

geoff