Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Bourns Pot Shafts Not Long Enough!

On 20/10/2018 3:58 PM, Paul wrote:
On 10/15/2018 7:03 PM, Paul wrote:
On 10/15/2018 7:02 PM, Paul wrote:
On 10/15/2018 12:17 PM, Chuck wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 07:54:47 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 16/10/2018 2:48 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Paul
wrote:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...NGiz_quRoJu2nQ

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* See the center ring?Â* That's supposed to be connected
to the center pin.Â* In my case, it's an open, and unlike
this picture, the trace disappears into the plastic moulding.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The ring itself is clean, and has good continuity, but
there is an
open EMBEDDED INSIDE THE PLASTIC.Â* I could try to break the plastic
apart, but then the whole thing will be toast!

This is typical construction; there is a rivet used to make the
connection
betwen the phenolic board and the pin.Â* What happens is that the
rivet
contact corrodes and becomes open.Â* Guess what you can do in order
to clean
that up?

Just because the contact is embedded in the plastic doesn't mean
it can't be
cleaned up.
--scott

I've had luck (luck that it 'took') simply flowing solder from the
rivet
to the metalised track.

Should conside that as short-term relief only, and may or may not work
with some makes of pot.

geoff
Sometimes conductive paint works to repair this issue.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Either solder or conductive paint will not work in this
case.Â* Again, my case is different than the photo I posted,
as the trace and the center pin connection is embedded within
the plastic housing of the pot.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I could conceivably break open the casing, but then
the pot would be destroyed!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* So brand new post are on the way from Mouser.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Brand new POTS are on the way!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* It worked!Â* I was able to disassemble one of the new
2K Bourns pots that I got from Mouser, and the old, long shaft
fit perfectly!Â* Thank god they kept the same footprint and
shaft dimensions!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Listen to Dark side of the moon, with my "new"
speakers!

While in a 'moon' frame of mind, try a listen to Supertramp "Some Things
Never Change" . A good workout (in many different ways) for any speaker,
and great music.

Jack Douglas,Fred Mandel,Jay Messina on the production/engineering side.

geoff