Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Need advice for a small room

In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Robert Peirce wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Regardless of room constructions and shape, there are speakers that
work well if you are in a single position but not so well if you are
not, and speakers that possibly aren't the best for a fixed location
but provide good sound throughout the space.

This is to do with the directivity of a loudspeaker and the way that
it interacts with a room. Many loudspeakers that have an excellent
frequency response on axis are very ragged off-axis. The most
desirable trait, from your point of view, is that the directivity of
your loudspeakers should be constant, or at least only gradually
changing, over most of the frequency range.

Thanks. I couldn't exactly describe the desired characteristics of the
speaker but I think that is pretty close. The panel speakers I have
probably aren't terribly directional, especially since half the sound is
bouncing of the front wall. The mini-monitors I have described as
working well only at a point are probably highly directional.

So, where does one find information on small, non-directional speakers
that can get down to, say, 25-30Hz, probably with the addition of
woofers?