Posted to alt.guitar.bass,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.bass,rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.equipment
Kloka-mo' Kloka-mo' is offline

Default Help wiring speakers

Avatars rock, and a 2x12 SHOULD be enough for any geetarist. Lord knows, it
will be enough for any audience member.

-owner of 2x10 and 1x15 Avatars.
--
-rob Bartlett, TN
/(\)
"Ka-el" wrote in message
oups.com...
I really appreciate your inputs.. I just think, it's not worth the time
and hussle or messing around on this 4x10 guitar cabinet.. I'll
problaby just buy a 2x12 cab from Avatar w/ Celestion V30 and G12H30..
Thanks for all the help!!

Mike Rivers wrote:
Ka-el wrote:

My Peavy XXL Amp does have that multi Ohm output 4-8-16 Ohm

It's not clear how this switch works (no schematic available). It could
switch taps on a transformer, or it could just be a trick. However, you
can wire four 8-ohm speakers in parallel which gets you 2 ohms, and
that's not recommended by Peavey. You can also wire them to get 8 ohms
by putting two parallel pairs in series, or two series pairs in
parallel. Speaker purists will argue advantages and disadvantages of
each based on speaker damping. So if the amplifier's impedance switch
is for real, you can match them to the amplifier by setting the switch
to 8 ohms.

In your cabinet's stereo mode, you can have either two 4 ohm pairs or
two 16 ohm pairs. However, since your amplifier doesn't have a stereo
output (the two jacks are in parallel) there's only one logical reason
to do this, and that's if you want to use that cabinet with some other
amplifier that does have two channels (or with two amplfiers). But then
you're getting into a different sound because you'll be using those
speakers with another amplifier.

So, again, I think you're looking at the wrong solution to the problem
of not liking the sound of your bass when you play it through that
cabinet with that amplifier.