wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

So why imply that it is only snake oil - like 'high-end' audio cables,
which definitely *are* a waste of money?

According to whom? On whose authority? YOURS?

No 'authority' required, not one single person has *ever* been able to
tell nominally competent wires apart when they didn't *know* what was
connected. Your persistent claim that *you* can is obviously
extraordinary, yet you refuse to offer proof.

I don't have to. I claim only that I hear a difference consistent with
the change of the product in the chain, which is, of course a report of
my own experience. It was a consistent, repeatable experience, so the
possibility of halucination is remote. It is possible to induce
halucinations through sleep deprivation:

http://uplink.space.com/showflat.php...b=5&o=0&fpart=

It seems to me that even if typical audiophile listening
comparisons
are not the last word in scientific methodology, there is no need
for
constant badgering. Listening comparisons are not intended to be
rigorous, methodical tests. It is not your place to tell us that
they
should be.

So stop making baseless assertions about what you think you hear.

I do hear it. It's not 'baseless'.

You do *not* hear anything which exists in the physical sound field.
This is a mere assertion, and will not become true no matter how often
you repeat it.

Proof?

You are the one who needs to provide proof of your extraordinary claim
that *you* can hear what no one else has been able to hear.

Here we go again. It is NOT an 'extraordinary claim'. We have gone over
this before. No-one in philosophy or any science would call listening
to cables and reporting audible differences 'making an extraordinary
claim'.

They would if they knew the science behind cables and that such a result is
impossible for very well understood reasons.

I am not claiming that the cables violate any laws of nature.

Yes you are.

The class of all things natural exceeds the class of all things
measurable. An 'extraordinary claim' violates some commonly-accepted
truth of nature (e.g., once men die, they don't come back to life), or
invokes some wild explanation (aliens from outer space) that assumes
facts not in evidence. Aliens cannot be used to explain your
'abduction' because the existence of aliens is itself unsupported and
remotely unlikely. You cannot use something even less-well established
to prove something that is highly dubious itself. Claiming to hear
differences in aduo cables, amps, or CD players is not by any stretch
of the imagination 'making an extraordinary claim'.

Claiming that something impossible happened is an extraordinary claim, to
reasonable people.