Mike Rivers

In article writes:

There's no reason why, in this application, a transformer should have
more accurate signal transfer than direct wiring.

But there is a reason it might sound better: all kinds of spurious high
frequency garbage from radio signals, computer switching, and power line
noise can be carried into the sensitive amp inputs and cause
intermodular distortion.

Of course. But is this the case in your system? There are other ways
to solve that problem besides a transformer, but a transformer is
often the easiest solution if you can live with what it adds.

This would seem a good explanation for the
blurriness I heard -- difficulty distinguishing between similar sounds
in high registers.

I never try to attribute what I hear to a component. I wouldn't think
that "blurrieness" could be a result of EMI, but I really don't know.
If it makes you happy, spend the money.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )