Joe Kramer

Mike Rivers wrote:

There's no reason why, in this application, a transformer should have
more accurate signal transfer than direct wiring.

But there is a reason it might sound better: all kinds of spurious high
frequency garbage from radio signals, computer switching, and power line
noise can be carried into the sensitive amp inputs and cause
intermodular distortion. This would seem a good explanation for the
blurriness I heard -- difficulty distinguishing between similar sounds
in high registers. The transformer is allowing me to pick stuff out
easier now, although that may only be saying that my system (or my
hearing) is pretty lousy in the first place. . . .

Have you tried the "impedance balanced" source approach, with a
resistor to ground connected to Pin 3 that's equal to the source
impedance of the hot side of the output? (you'll have to determine
that value experimentally).

That was going to be my next approach. I might as well still try it,
but I'm liking the transformer more and more. Another side effect is
that my ears are far less tired after mixing all day. . . .

Joe