Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

Mr.T wrote:
"Randy Yates" wrote in message
I don't have any facts to refute you, but my "gut" tells me this is way
off-base. I would guess that "most" folks (in the U.S.) have the ability
to download 20 GB more or less overnight right now [1], and that the
internet pipes are only going to grow bigger over time.

Is overnight, or even a couple of days, too long to wait? I don't think
so - many folks wait two to four days to exchange a movie from Netflix
these days.

--Randy

[1] The average cable modem download speed is around 4 Mb/s == 500 kB/s.
Then

(20 GB) * (1 s / 500 kB) * (1E6 kB / GB) * (1 hour / 3600 s) = 11.1

hours

Well here in Australia at least it would cost around $50 just for the
privilege of down-loading that 20GB. And definitely more than the cost of
buying the disk!
If your high speed connections are free, then lucky you.
Anyway I certainly hope those "bigger pipes" are not just clogged up with
people downloading HD movies, but you are right, once they can, they will.

Maybe.
I don't see HD being as successful as ordinary DVD.
To really get the benefits you need a pretty big screen doing 1080p
Watching LOTR normal DVD on a top of the range projector on a 12' screen
is better than most cinemas. I don't expect HD to be visually a great
deal better unless you sit so close your nose is almost touching.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London