Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

"Arny Krueger" writes:

"Randy Yates" wrote in message

"Mr.T" MrT@home writes:
[...]
And as for on-line delivery, It may well be ten years or
more before most people can regularly download a single
20GB+ movie!

I don't have any facts to refute you, but my "gut" tells
me this is way off-base. I would guess that "most" folks
(in the U.S.) have the ability
to download 20 GB more or less overnight right now [1],
and that the internet pipes are only going to grow bigger
over time.

The questionable presumption here is that it would always take 20 GB in
order to download a HD movie.

The size of lossy-compressed video files is shall we say, negotiable. ;-)

Is overnight, or even a couple of days, too long to wait?

I think the benchmark would be to download a movie in an amount of time
equal to its duration.

Then it becomes "real-time".

Yes, I neglected to mention that 20 GB is only for HD. DVD-quality is
5 GB and thus available in only 2.8 hours. Almost real-time.
--
% Randy Yates % "With time with what you've learned,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % they'll kiss the ground you walk