Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Fantasy tube

On Aug 14, 8:25 pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article .com,
Andre Jute wrote:

But even if we take up Max's idea, of a second GZ37 in the same
envelope with an independent filament for each plate, that's too many
connectors to fit into my other parameter of a standard octal base.
(Four plates and 6 filament/cathode connectors add up to 10.)

The triple cathode scheme I suggested requires only 7 pins, so it would
easily fit an octal socket, although the creepage distance might not be
enough for a kilovolt supply. Perhaps one of those ceramic bowl bases
like the 5R4GWY has, along with a ceramic socket, might make it workable.

Regards,

John Byrns

Mmm. I had something in mind in which the rectifieers may serve as a
bridge, or be used separately, for instance as in my Modular Series
300B Lundahl where I merely fullwave rectified two separate lines. But
I think this rectifier idea of mine, a throwaway at the end, is the
most troublesome of all the ideas floated by anyone yet.

How high is an octal socket supposed to be rated? I used to have a
Tannoy amp that put 864V into an octal socket and I'm sure they
wouldn't have done so if the socket was not rated for it.

And, while we're on sockets, one of the reason I like the octal is
that it is reasonably well insulated from the top. A UX4 for a 300B or
a Jumbo 4-pin for an 845 is lethal when the tube is not in it.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"