Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Charles[_7_] Charles[_7_] is offline

Default Bridge or Center Tap?

"Paul D. Spiegel" wrote in message ...

For my next project I have acquired a transformer with two identical 450v
secondary windings. I could put the windings in parallel and use a bridge
rectifier. Or, I could put the windings in series and ground the coupling
for a 450-0-450 configuration to use with a pair of diodes.

If you choose parallel connected secondary windings, a power meter test is
one way to be sure. Fire up the transformer and measure the input power
(primary) with the secondary windings not connected. Repeat the test with
the secondary windings connected in parallel. If the windings are
identical, the primary power will not change.