John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D. Spiegel View Post
For my next project I have acquired a transformer with two identical 450v
secondary windings. I could put the windings in parallel and use a bridge
rectifier. Or, I could put the windings in series and ground the coupling
for a 450-0-450 configuration to use with a pair of diodes.

Which would you do? What are the pro's and con's of the two
configuration?

For this project I am using SS rectifiers. Were I using a tube rectifier
I would go with the center tap, of course.

- Paul
And here is the example everyone is eager to see. FWCT is awful at SUF of 0.415. PUF is still same as FWB (0.586) with cap input to filter since all the primary is in use. In a common amp or receiver PUF turns out better due to the loading of the heater windings which theoretically are 1.000. In reality less due the winding resistance.

But all can be justified since the power involved is small & the cct is simple & easy to build. But that adds a bit of expense & some weight.

A FWCT with choke input is somewhat better.

Cheers, John
Attached Images