Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman Schwartz Norman Schwartz is offline

Default Moving-coil cartridges

On Jun 28, 7:44*am, wrote:

How do you define a high-end cartridge? Subjective criteria or
impressions cannot be used because different individuals have
different tastes and because of the fact that in-ear frequency

So how do you OBJECTIVELY define high-end?

In 1982 the Shure V15 IV retailed at $200, the Ortofon MC30 at $850,
the Denon 103D at $295 (prices from Audio annual component directory).
Was the $850 Ortofon high-end or had it to be a $1000 Denon DL-1000,
or a $1300 van den Hul. When is a cartridge high-end, when is it “only
hifi” ?

In the late 1970s the Grado FTE+1 cartridge costing a mere $15.00 was
highly regarded in the high end community. Although it picked up some
hum as it approached a turntable's motor and exhibited the so-called
"Grado Dance" in a LP's lead-in grooves, accolades came from every
corner. Turning to CD players, according to some reviewers at
Stereophile magazine the mass-produced Radio Shack Portable Optimus
3400 for $180 was ranked in the high-end crowd. I owned a FTE+1, but
for CDs I still have and use the famous mid 80s Magnavox CDB-650 which
is completely functional (amongst more recent ones).
As of today it feeds a vintage tube ARC pre-amp.