Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Moving-coil cartridges

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:04:18 -0700, ScottW2 wrote
(in article ):

On Jun 23, 7:09 am, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Stylus assembly compliance is also a factor and there is no
hard-and-fast
rule about that EITHER.

Agree, but they and tip mass work together to affect trackability, along
with cantilever design and damping and stylus design. These things must
be
optimized as a system.

I've owned a couple of Shure carts, a Signet and now an AT OC9
on a variety of tables.

While I've seen different results in tracking on my test record, I've
never at all felt that any of the carts exhibited tracking deficiency
with music.

Part of your "problem" is that you've been working with a few cartridges
that have above-average trackability.

As such, tracking performance has never been high on my
list of cart concerns. It seems to be a solved problem.
Anyone know of any current carts that have unacceptable tracking
performance?

No. Like you say, it's a solved problem. Any modern cartridge (except
perhaps
the very cheapest, and I don't even know that for sure - no pun intended)
will track anything one can throw at it, and track it well.

Proof?