Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default Moving-coil cartridges

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:08:33 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

And you don't think test records that also included frequency response
tests
from 20hz to 20khz had flat, smooth response?

Actually, they don't. Cutter heads have resonance problems that are
similar to cartridges.

Yes, but it is my understanding that has been a solved problem in the
audible frequency band for decades. And I suppose frquencies could be
eq'd
before that. In any case, the frequencies were there on the record.
Theory
does not supercede practice.

They are EQ'd. They are also electronically excursion and stylus
acceleration
and velocity limited. Cutter heads also require lots of amplifier power to
get them to move at all, and just a few more Watts to burn them out.
Although
modern computer control has taken a lot of the work and know-how out of
the
record cutting business, at one time a mastering engineer was considered a
GOD. He had to know exactly how to use the equipment to get the maximum
level, and dynamic range possible on a record without cutting through the
groove walls, or burning out the cutter head all the while making sure
that
the final product could be successfully played on the cheapest "record
player" . If you think that's easy, then I suggest that you think again.

I don't recall saying it was easy. I knew some of the guys at CBS Labs, and
know it was not. But I also know they knew how to do it.