Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman Schwartz Norman Schwartz is offline

Default Moving-coil cartridges

On Jun 22, 10:08*pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Dick, I've never seen twocartridgesthat have identical square wave
response to the same test record. *Cartridgesas you well know are
imperfect, electro-mechanical devises. *What I am saying is that there is a
correlation between certain aspects of how a cartridge handles the test
square wave and certain commonalities of sound. *So that with experience, it
is possible to say some things aforehand about their "likely" sound after
seeing the square wave.-

As is probably well known, the different levels of the Grado
cartridges all derive from the same product but are selected on the
basis of their performance, "detail and frequency extension".

Now how does one measure detail?

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...12050&read&3&4

"Every step up through the Prestige line of cartridges yields minor
(but significant) improvements in detail and frequency extension.
There are three tiers: Black and Green, Blue and Red, and Silver and
Gold. It’s the same cartridge at each tier; samples that test slightly
better than others wear the higher designation. For instance, a great-
performing Black becomes a Green and costs $20 extra. If you could
care less about a slight, possibly inaudible, improvement, then go for
the cheaper of the two."