Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Moving-coil cartridges

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:13:26 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

Would you (or someone) like to explain to me how one would go about
cutting a
square wave into a record groove?

You use a cutting lathe with a power amplifier and appropriate test signal
which is contrived to produce a square wave with an ideal cartridge and
preamp, if the preamp is equalized.

As someone who used to master records, and therefore knows what a lash-up a
record cutting lathe and head and ancillary equipment is, I say that it can't
really be done and if it could, no cartridge on earth could track it.

However, the question is misstated because quality cartridges as a rule
have velocity-sensitive response, and require a non-square wave cut into the
record groove in order to produce a square wave at either the output of the
cartridge, or as it is more commonly done, at the output of a RIAA preamp.

OK. That I'll buy.