Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce Dick Pierce is offline

Default Moving-coil cartridges

On Jun 22, 10:08*pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:
"Dick Pierce" wrote in message

On Jun 22, 1:38 pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:
Not only that, but square wave response tells you
much about frequency response, ringing, and tracking
response as well. Ergo, square wave response tells
you much about what to expect in the way a cartridge
sounds.

No matter how many times you say it, no matter how
firmly you believe it, it does nothing of the sort.

You assertion is that two systems with the same square
wave response will sound the same, or certainly alike,
and that's provably hooey. Consider the following as a
practical counterexample: Take a perfectly flat, linear-
phase system. It will have, for its bandwidth, "perfect"
square wave response. Listen to it, it will sound fine.
Now, take the input, delay it 10 mS, and sum it with
the output of the system.

Put a 1 kHz square wave in to the system: it will
have an identical square wave response.

Now, listen to it, it will sound absolutely dreadful.

You keep going back to the ringing canard as if it
had any signifance in and of itself. A PERFECT
band-limited system MUST have a substantial
amount of ringing, Gibbs says so. You say different,
in contradiction to well-known facts.

Dick, I've never seen two cartridges that have
identical square wave response to the same
test record. *

You are, indeed saying that if you are claiming that
the square wave response correlates as strongly as
you claim to any audible properties.

And I am saying that your fundamental claim is
unsupportable. The above example with the delay
line is simply an existance proof of a practical,
realizable example of two systems that can be
shown to have identical square-wave response
yet vastly different and obvious audible differences.
Pick a different measurement, such as a simple
broad-band frequency response or an impulse
response, and you'll get wildly different
measurements.

Cartridges as you well know are imperfect,
electro-mechanical devises. *

Yes, so what?

What I am saying is that there is a correlation
between certain aspects of how a cartridge
handles the test square wave and certain
commonalities of sound. *So that with
experience, it is possible to say some things
aforehand about their "likely" sound after
seeing the square wave.

And I am saying you're wrong, and have provided
several technical explanations as to why and an
an existence proof of why.

If you have something other than a repeat of
the same claim to support the claim, I would be
interested in hearing it. But repeating the
claim yet again is not proof of the claim.