Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Will SACD die?

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 08:24:28 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:56:01 -0800, Randy Yates wrote
(in article ):

Kalman Rubinson writes:

Yup, The DV-980H will play CD, DVD, DVD-A and SACD.
It will upconvert video up to 1080p. It will output
full-bandwidth DVD-A, DSD and, optionally,
DSD-converted-to-PCM via HDMI. It has multichannel
analog outputs as well as coax and TOSlink digital
outputs. It sells for $170. And it works.

If only it offered HD as well...

The the question becomes which one? Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?
As long as Blu-Ray players remain at the $500
price-point and the combo players are $1000, I suspect
that HD-DVD will remain the leader in sales.

There are about 5 million Blu Ray players already sold,
in the form of PS-3 game units.

Yet, HD-DVD players outsold Blu-Ray in 2007 by more than
1/3.

Nope, not including the 5+ million PS/3s.

The biggest number I've seen to date for HD DVD players is 750,000 including
the add-on HD DVD for the XBOX 360.