Posted to rec.audio.high-end
willbill willbill is offline

Default AES article: hi-rez more like analog?

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Actually it's from a 2007 AES conference, not the JAES,
so I'm not sure it's peer reviewed...but anyway:

"Which of the Two Digital Audio Systems Best Matches the Quality
of the Analog System?"

http://www.hitech-projects.com/hera/...s/aar07pu4.pdf

nice ref! thank you very much

It appears that the formats compared to a live feed (analog) were
DXD (353.8 kHz/24) and 44.1/24, both in surround, using a blind
comparison protocol. Two additional listening conditions were tested:
one where the A/D signal bandwith was 100 kHz (thanks to special
microphone 'super-tweeters') and the other where bandwidth was
limited to 20kHz. The authors say their results show that listeners
'more often than not' identify the hi-rez audio (and not the 44.1 kHz
audio) as being similar in quality to the analog feed...but only when
the bandwidth is limited! In other words, only the initial sampling
need be done in hi-rez, the listening can (and SHOULD) be done in
'standard rez', to achieve the analog-like effect.

Their test setup and signals must be seen/read to be believed (the pdf
includes photos). They're not your typical listener setup, to say the
least (compare to, say, Meyer and Moran's setup for their SACD vs
CD test).

if there is an open on-line ref to this, i'd very
much appreciate someone providing it; thanks in advance

Also, I'm having trouble making heads or tails of their statistics.

Also being discussed on HA.org

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=55966

very nice 2nd ref!

only 5 people, but still very interesting

i'm going to have to start reading www.hydrogenaudio.org
on a regular basis

imho, multichannel sound is not driven by audio,
it is driven by movies. of the recent 2 formats
(HD-DVD and Blu-ray), which really has the better
multichannel sound?

imho#2, better sound isn't going to make any diff
on which wins. or are they both too similar
(on sound) to be worth worrying about it?

where is Kalman when we need him?

fwiw this past few days i've gotten
a Toshiba HD-DVD A35 player, with an
open order for a copy of Magic Flute
(arriving after Xmas)

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Zauberf...7563048&sr=8-1

the 4 current customer reviews give it high marks
on sound. read them for yourself

of course SACD doesn't have video, but is the
multichannel sound on Magic Flute comparable
to SACD?

all ears, bill

"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

Never confuse movement with action.
Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)