Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Explanation still required for triode superiority

Stuart Krivis wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:01:18 +0100, Eeyore wrote:
Chris Hornbeck wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 05:07:55 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

1. Unweighted THD is useless as an indicator of quality.

So why do you think I regularly mention the order of the distortion ?

Wanna *not* be a major disappointment? Post something
positive and educational on the topic.

Right here; right now.

Lord knows you're capable, and all the latterday endless cheap
shots are beneath you. Step up to the plate and take a swing!

This *could* be a very interesting newsgroup again someday.
Gonna take everybody; no slackers.

It's a subject that truly intruiges me.

Where I suspect I'd differ with you is that I'd expect a DSP simulation to
sound just the same as the beloved triode.

It is something that I'm looking into btw.

As for the effect of the order of the distortion, does anyone recall who
wrote that thesis about it and the weighting thereof ?

Hamm?

He wrote that joke of a paper purporting to compare tubes and transistors.

It's something quite recent I have in mind.

Graham