Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Explanation still required for triode superiority

On 25 Sep 2006 03:09:39 -0700, "Andre Jute" wrote:

Bring on your topics, Chris. We could do with some fresh air in RAT.

Some folks who I'd hoped to be refreshing have turned out
to be terminally boring. Sorry for having encouraged 'em.
We live and don't learn... or something. Again, sorry, all.

No time this week to give any adequate or deserving response
to yours or Henry's provocative posts, but, if I may, a few
possibilities:

1. Unweighted THD is useless as an indicator of quality.

2. Unweighted IMD " " "

3. We make totally unwarranted assumptions of monotonicity.
This is a fatal flaw in our thinking, and we all do it, all
the time.

4. We make often unwarranted assumptions about input signal
bandwidth.

5. We *always* *without exception* forget to properly weight
the importance of simply being upstream in the signal path.
Always.

6. Loud voices will say that everything (that doesn't include
the dreaded vacuum valve, scourge of nations) sounds the same.
This has recently been expanded to include transistor amplifiers
from the early 1970's, by certain especially vocal ideologes,
in another thread, this very week.

Against such a religious fervor, nothing can stand.

Been reading about weaponry this week; no real purpose;
haven't needed a weapon since discharged from the Army
in 1972; just looking, ya know?

It seems that the US military converted from the Colt .45
caliber pistol in standard issue since 1911(!) to a Berreta
of some NATO gauge in the mid 1980's. But it seems it doesn't
work, despite all the high powered analysis. Ya shoot
sombody with it, but they keep comin'.

What's so sadly wrong with the story is that the US military
went through the whole exact same hand-wringing back 100+
years ago in the Phillippines, leading to the adoption
of, wait for it, the .45 caliber.

Modeling and analysis are essential; but the map is not
the world.

Which conclusion? That "triodes sound better" or that "there must be an
electrical explanation"?

Strong agreement with the former; strong disagreement ('cause
that ain't science!) with the latter.

"Take the money and run" -- Len Deighton

And also... who? Bob Segar? Somebody like that, anyway.

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck