Arny Krueger

Default Yamaha RX-V1300 Receiever; Highest volume=zero?

"Brad Behm @localnet.com" bradbehmIhatespam wrote in message

I have a question about the volume setting display. The digital
display indicates the volume level whenever it is adjusted. At the
low end, it begins at -99 Db (that's negative ninety-nine).

Read that as "99 dB below full scale"

99 dB is LOTS, so in common terms, this could be called "A whole lot less
than full output"

As one
turns up the volume, the display works its way up through the
negative numbers all the way to a Atlas-5 maximum volume of 0db aka
ZERO.

Read that as "0 dB below full scale"

0 dB is no difference, so in common terms, this could be called "no
different than full output", or simply "full output"

I confess my ignorance...I just don't get it. Obviously
there is an intelligent reason for this since everything about this
receiver is extremely well thought out and executed. Could someone
enlighten me please. Why start out in the negative numbers and work
up to zero?

Volume controls are attenuators. Lots of negative dBs means the same thing
as lots of attenuation.

How can there be negative decibels?

Attenuation is commonly expressed as negative dBs. Amplification is commonly
expressed as positive dBs.