Paul Stamler

"Frank Stearns" wrote in message

I'd try the 600 ohm taps on both sides [of the transformer]. You may be
able to use a higher termination resistor, which at least some of your
mics may like. Oh, and don't forget the recording preamp will be in
parallel with the loading resistor, so it should be higher (parallel
resistances add using the formula 1/total = 1/R1 + 1/R2).

Let me clarify -- I hadn't planned on any termination resistors on the
*input* to the transformer ("Y" split point from the flow-through), only
on the output of the transformer. The one resistor on the output cured the
ringing; I had nothing on the input. (But I *should* get all the
pieces on the bench -- actual mic and pre with the xformer hanging of
the lines -- and see what happens.)

With a 1:1 transformer, the resistance loading the secondary appears as
though it is present at the primary.

Peace,
Paul