Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] ixtarbrules@yahoo.com is offline

Default Ping STEPHEN

On Jun 3, 12:55 pm, wrote:
On Jun 2, 11:54 pm, wrote:

My preference would be a MODIFIED set of Klipsches- K-horns, La Scala
or BK-with upgraded treble and midrange horns and crossovers. If you
really like dipoles, though, you likely won't like horns.

Anyone interested in Quads would probably run shreiking in the
opposite direction is they heard the Klipsches. IMO, Klipsches need a
low-powered amp to shave off some of that aggressive, forward sound.

No, they need replacement of the horrid T-35 EV tweeter and rework of
the midrange horn and/or crossover. A low power amp, IF it is flat in
terms of response and has a reasonable damping factor, won't make any
difference, but the average SET with no feedbsck (or in the case of
the WE 91, feedback, but not around the OPT where it is needed) will
roll off the high end.

Quads are also amp fussy and in the case of the old ones positively
will not tolerate overdriving them, so the old Quad II is often the
preferred amp for them. A lot of people also like the Quad II for
klipsches, oddly enough. I greatly enjoy the later sold state Quad
amps myself, but onbly when modded to modern standards.