Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Ping STEPHEN

"Jenn" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
What speakers do you have other than the Quads that I've heard you
speak
so highly of? For everyone: what used speakers would you look at for
around $1200 used or new?

**See if you can locate a pair of NEAR 10M-II. I expect you should find
them
for less than US$100.00/pr. Spend the rest of your budget (and preferably
more) on the best, high current, low NFB SS amplification you can. I've
found that the better the amplifier, the better these speakers perform.
Differences are not subtle. They are a most under-rated speaker. Be
warned:
The NEAR 10M-II demands an amplifier of prodigious damping factor (tube
amps
may not apply), particularly when clipped.

Thanks!

**You're welcome. Another of my favourite, used speakers, is the Infinity
Rennaisance 90. Very impressive product. It too, requires very good
amplification, but is a much larger speaker. Bang for your Buck though, the
NEAR 10M-II is so far ahead of anything else, it simply doesn't matter.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au