Posted to alt.music.mp3.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Default Which MP3 Recorder has the longest recording time?

Matt writes:

Matt wrote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for an MP3 recorder, such as a digital voice
recorder, that has the longest possible recording time. Finding a
device with enough memory to record a few days of material is not a
problem. The problem is I can't find a device that will run for more
then 22 hours without changing the batteries. For example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ICDP520...0938&s r=8-14

The reason I'm going for an MP3 recorder over anything else is
because I'm assuming it will have the longest recording time. A tape
recorder for example has a motor that needs powering, whereas an MP3
recorder does not. If there are alternative recording devices that
could give me an even longer recording time, then that would be
perfect.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Just had a thought: if I get a device that has voice activated
recording and has a battery life of, say, 36 hours; if it only spends
half of its time recording and the standby time is ages, then that
might be fine.

How good is voice activated recording? Is it the sort of thing that
would record any noise it detects, or does it tend to miss words out?

The power in such devices is consumed by the electronics/CPU while
operating. Voice-activated recording requires at least part of that
electronics to be operating continuously (whether you're recording
or not) in order to run the recognition function, thus your battery
life on such a device is likely to be less than a standard device.
--
% Randy Yates % "So now it's getting late,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and those who hesitate