paddy

Chung wrote in message ...

It depends on the design of the components you are sending the signals
to. Some devices have low, non-linear, impedances when they are powered
off, which would cause distortion in the signal going to the other
active device that you are listening through. Not too long ago in this
forum, there was a poster noticing this problem when his preamp also
drives a CD recorder in addition to the main amplifier, and when the CD
recorder is powered off, there is noticeable distortion at high levels.
I have also found this problem in a certain receiver, due to the use of
analog switches that basically clamp the input signal to ground when the
receiver is off.

Hmmm. OK - so maybe I will have to live with a little bit of
replugging before using the mixer/having a party. I just bought some
splitters and extra phono leads and will have a play tonight...