reddred

"caveplayer" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
quality to my PC setup?

thanks.

The C-major codecs aren't bad at all as AC97 codecs go, but I think you have
the one that only has 16 bit sound and, more importantly, does not have a
line in.

So, what you need is a box that plugs into your laptop's USB port, and will
have some kind of line in jack. The boxes made for musicians usually have
mic pre's in them and start at around $150. In general, the pre's aren't
going to be much better than the ones you have in your mixer.

There is a soundblaster external USB box for around $50 with line in jacks.
You may want the extra features of the more expensive boxes to replace your
mixer, but be aware that you won't necessarily get better sound.

jb