Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith. Keith. is offline

Default Opera: Good acoustics with digital piano or bad acoustics with acoustic piano

"David Grant" wrote in message
I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's audition cd. I have
the option of doing the recording in my not-so-hot sounding livingroom
with an acoustic baby grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a
roland digital piano.

Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
church, but as I have no past experience doing opera in my livingroom or
recording digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!

Thanks,

Dave

I think that the volume of an Opera voice plus piano is going to bring out
any negative living room acoustics and I really doubt that the singer would
feel comfortable singing at the required volume in the closed in intimacy of
a living room.
An Opera audition CD should simulate as close as possible the volume and
acoustically reflective conditions of an Opera theatre. So it looks like the
Church is a close to those conditions as you will get. A sympathetic
audience will help with sound absorption and may make the singer and pianist
more at ease.
Were there any guidelines given about the recording space?.
I ask because a standardised theatre resonance would help with those that
are judging the audition.

Keith.