Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Opera: Good acoustics with digital piano or bad acoustics with acoustic piano

"David Grant" wrote ...
I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's audition cd. I have
the option of doing the recording in my not-so-hot sounding livingroom
with an acoustic baby grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a
roland digital piano.

Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
church, but as I have no past experience doing opera in my livingroom or
recording digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!

Interesting question and good reduction to the critical tradeoff decision.

As others have observed, a lot comes down to the nature of the keyboard.

Since this is the *singer's* audition recording, certainly their choice
would heavily weight any final decision. My guess would be that
the singer would prefer performing in an acoustically comfortable
space. Certainly their accompanist should also have some say,
especially if your keyboard is not a classically weighted model.

Even if the singer has little (or no) recording experience, you should
be able to lay out the tradeoffs for them as clearly as you have done
here and let them decide what is best for them.