Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Opera: Good acoustics with digital piano or bad acoustics withacoustic piano

David Grant wrote:
I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's audition cd. I have the
option of doing the recording in my not-so-hot sounding livingroom with an
acoustic baby grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a roland
digital piano.

Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
church,

Either way it's going to be a compromise but my gut feeling is that you
could end up with a better recording in your home than in the church.
Since the piano is going to be playing out of a speaker it may not do
all that well in the church. And the church might have too long a
reverberation time for a single singing voice.

Go to your room! Experiment to find a good place for the singer. Hang up
a couple of blankets or quilts if you need to deaden a wall.

me he
)