Mike Rivers

Scott Chapin wrote:

I was going to get the Fostex, but it doe s not record to standard wave.
That would mean buting extra software to handle the broadcast wave format.

I have no problems importing broadcast wave files from my Mackie HDR
into Audacity, Fast Edit (an ancient 16-bit version) or Sequoia 7.
Unless you're already committed to some special software that you know
won't handle broadcast wave files, this shouldn't be a problem. The EM
article does mention a rather disappointing battery life, however -
barely an hour on eight AA cells.

This sounds like the Marantz would have to be sent back to the shop to be
modified. Oh well.

I seem to recall that the previous model, the 670, had a "recall
available" (if you learned that they had a fix for the noisy preamps)
so I would have thought that it was fixed with the 671. Apparently it
had to do with the gain structure and required changing some resistors.
It might be worth a call to Marantz to see if the "fixed" version is in
production yet, and if so, what serial number you should look for to
know that you won't have to send it in for modification.